Blue Tree selects a few book proposals each year. As a Blue Tree author, you will enjoy the benefits of working with a small, highly skilled team of designers and editors, who will shepherd your book from the proposal stage through layout, editing, printing, and the distribution processes. Proposals are continually being reviewed. Interested authors, artists, museums, and galleries may submit book proposals to Blue Tree at any time. When submitting a proposal, initial query letter, or completed manuscript, please remember that it may take up to three months for us review it.
Read our submission guidelines for submitting manuscripts and proposals. All of these steps are not mandatory, but bear in mind that it is your vision you are presenting to us, so the more information you give us to visualize your project, the better. Please send us copies of your material and keep the original for your records. Do not submit original material (either art or manuscript) and please keep a copy of your project. Please note that material unaccompanied by a SASE will not be returned.
- Cover letter giving a brief synopsis of the project and what’s enclosed in the package.
- Proposal, including outline, introduction, list of artwork, sample captions, and sample chapters. If you are submitting a cookbook proposal, include a list of recipes plus at least ten sample recipes with headnotes in addition to the information described above.
- Sample artwork and photographs (duplicates rather than originals).
- A market analysis of the potential readership for the book, including title, publisher, and date of all similar books, with an explanation of how your book differs from each.
- Biography of the author, photographer, and/or illustrator, including publishing credits and credentials in the field.
- A self-addressed, stamped envelope for return of the materials.